I am interested in hearing more about Brazil, specifically in hearing more about the recruitment opportunities, scholarship programs, and culture in this quickly-developing nation.
April 2013: Webinars
Over the past twelve months, NAFSA has hosted a number of webinars covering the following topics for the International Student and Scholar Services and International Enrollment Management communities:
1) Today's Chinese Student: What Really Matters
- Provided an update to our picture of today’s Chinese student through insights about cultural contexts, motivations, support systems, and aspirations.
2) International Student Adjustment
- Included insights on how to recognize and address adjustment challenges for international students, ranging from changes in lifestyle and interpersonal relationships to cultural differences.
3) Today's Chinese Student: Cultural Insights for Better Integration
- Discussed how today's Chinese students differ from those of the past and how group culture and shared experience impact cultural and social integration, and applied the basics of intercultural communication to bridge the cultural gap between U.S. and international students.
4) International Enrollment Management in Action
- Several campuses shared stories of strategic International Enrollment Management, what worked well, what they learned along the way, and what they would do differently.
5) Using Data as Insight in International Recruitment
- Learned how to drive international enrollment strategies and evidence decision-making using internal, external, and digital data.
6) Today's Chinese Student: Understanding the U.S. Classroom (coming on April 4, 2013)
- Provided best practices to help Chinese students address challenges, such as English language difficulties and unfamiliar classroom expectations, as well as how to support faculty in adjusting to the changing demographic of the U.S. classroom.
We are now considering future webinar topics. What are some hot topics would you like to see included?
Find more information on NAFSA's webinars at www.nafsa.org/webinars
I would be interested in attending a webinar that presents best practices on how to involve international students in service learning opportunities.
Webinar that explains how to comply with DOL requirements. How are others complying, show examples of public access files, and best practices.
International Students, Scholars, and family members are challenged to understand the complex US health care system and make appropriate health choices. Usually, the international office is the only campus unit in a position to care for these needs, but advisors have their hands full with immigration advising and rarely know enough to help with health insurance or health care matters. Advisors need some basic tools to ...more »
Everything about NAFSA, resources, tools, using the website, manual, what happens at state, regional and annual conferences, etc.
Many international offices need information on how to advocate for a good staffing ratio. We could design a webinar that examines the many variables and helps NAFSAns formulate good plans.
I would like a webinar that covers many of the more complicated and nuanced workarounds and "fixes" that we have been told to use, or figured out for ourselves, relating to SEVIS, EVP, CBP, DoS and USCIS. Many of these situations occur due to conflicts among agency guidance and regulations. A session like this could help to codify and standardize best practices.
Paid vs unpaid employment: what constitutes legitimately unpaid employment? Under what conditions can a student agree to forgo compensation? When is work authorization required?
I would like to see a travel and reentry webinar with best practices and resources incorporating the recent CBP announcement of the interim final rule to automate the I-94, the POE process, preparing initial and returning students, I-515’s and automatic visa revalidation.
High School Counselors working with International Students who are studying in US High Schools face many challenges similar to those at the college level, but definitely not the same, especially since the students are minors. Mental Health, College Entrance Exams, the College Search and US News and World Reports, and Working with Agents are some of the main topic ideas. Some items within the college search include: the ...more »
I would be interested in a webinar or conference info session on what ISAs need to look for in health insurance plans and what they need to communicate in pre-arrival information (websites, handbooks, etc.) regarding this legislation.
This webinar would help participants to develop the skills to engage their students in concepts relating to global issues and competencies. Spotlighting resources that immerse students in global topics, such as TeachUNICEF, would be a key component. Our students routinely display a lack in understanding of other cultures, the interconnectedness of countries and the potential impact that they as individuals can have on ...more »