I would be interested in a webinar or conference info session on what ISAs need to look for in health insurance plans and what they need to communicate in pre-arrival information (websites, handbooks, etc.) regarding this legislation.
April 2013: Webinars
Over the past twelve months, NAFSA has hosted a number of webinars covering the following topics for the International Student and Scholar Services and International Enrollment Management communities:
1) Today's Chinese Student: What Really Matters
- Provided an update to our picture of today’s Chinese student through insights about cultural contexts, motivations, support systems, and aspirations.
2) International Student Adjustment
- Included insights on how to recognize and address adjustment challenges for international students, ranging from changes in lifestyle and interpersonal relationships to cultural differences.
3) Today's Chinese Student: Cultural Insights for Better Integration
- Discussed how today's Chinese students differ from those of the past and how group culture and shared experience impact cultural and social integration, and applied the basics of intercultural communication to bridge the cultural gap between U.S. and international students.
4) International Enrollment Management in Action
- Several campuses shared stories of strategic International Enrollment Management, what worked well, what they learned along the way, and what they would do differently.
5) Using Data as Insight in International Recruitment
- Learned how to drive international enrollment strategies and evidence decision-making using internal, external, and digital data.
6) Today's Chinese Student: Understanding the U.S. Classroom (coming on April 4, 2013)
- Provided best practices to help Chinese students address challenges, such as English language difficulties and unfamiliar classroom expectations, as well as how to support faculty in adjusting to the changing demographic of the U.S. classroom.
We are now considering future webinar topics. What are some hot topics would you like to see included?
Find more information on NAFSA's webinars at www.nafsa.org/webinars
Everything about NAFSA, resources, tools, using the website, manual, what happens at state, regional and annual conferences, etc.
This webinar would help participants to develop the skills to engage their students in concepts relating to global issues and competencies. Spotlighting resources that immerse students in global topics, such as TeachUNICEF, would be a key component. Our students routinely display a lack in understanding of other cultures, the interconnectedness of countries and the potential impact that they as individuals can have on ...more »
I would like to see a webinar that talks about how to recruit international students from U.S. community colleges. Most community colleges seem to offer the same format to international as they do for Americans; setting up a table in the commons over lunch hour. How can we reach out to these students, attract them and maybe offer something of value to the community college as well. What are these students looking for, ...more »
Would love to see a comprehensive discussion on creating and maintaining Public Access Files for H-1Bs; and Audit Files for PERM.
Advanced credential evaluators know how to look at grading practices, completion rates, curriculum, institutions, and much other data to determine how a credential fits their policies. These tips would be very helpful for intermediate credential evaluators, too!
High School Counselors working with International Students who are studying in US High Schools face many challenges similar to those at the college level, but definitely not the same, especially since the students are minors. Mental Health, College Entrance Exams, the College Search and US News and World Reports, and Working with Agents are some of the main topic ideas. Some items within the college search include: the ...more »
I am interested in hearing more about Brazil, specifically in hearing more about the recruitment opportunities, scholarship programs, and culture in this quickly-developing nation.
Hi! Okay, it's not a topic idea, but could you offer discounted rates for current students to watch the webinars? The standard rates are just too much for students to afford.
It would be great to have a series that is a primer on various religious. I was thinking Islam, Christianity, and Buddhism off the top of my head... The webinar could address how the principles of the religion could appear in our international students' actions. On the Education Abroad side, it could address how receiving countries with a strong religious majority may impact the students stay. For example, being LGBTQ ...more »
Understanding transfer credit from non-US based universities can be difficult. A webinar describing the resources available as well as basic tips would be very helpful.
It would be very useful to have a compilation of successfully tested ideas for the effective integration of Chinese students into the campus community. It would help to have the ideas presented in terms of whether they had high staffing demand or low staffing demand, when in the semester they are best implemented and what ideas flow together to initiate and carry on the process of integration.